Domestic & Commercial / Industrial Waste
The Stapylton Transfer Station commenced operation in September 2008 and has been designed and licensed to accept domestic and commercial / industrial waste with a capacity in excess of 120,000 tonnes per year.
Currently timber, cardboard, ferrous and non-ferrous metals are being extracted from the waste stream for recycling. The remaining waste is loaded into side-tippers and transported to the Ti Tree BioEnergy Facility at Willowbank where it will be used in the waste to energy (i.e. electricity generation) process.
The facility has been purpose built for the site and includes the following design features/systems to reduce the impact the facility has on the environment:
- Allows for the loading of a side tipper trailer unit
- Includes remote controlled dust and odour control fogging system as well as natural ventilation control.
- Has been designed to prevent Ibis from accessing deposited waste
- Is fitted with three 46,000 litre tanks for capture of rain water from the considerable roof area, which is used for truck washing, toilets and all external taps
- The grounds are landscaped with native plants and irrigation water supplied from the one megalitre retention pond that collects and controls all storm water from the facility
- The main shed has been designed to eliminate the need for artificial lights during daylight hours and all lighting used on site is energy efficient